Armagh Secures Hard-Fought Win against Cork in Thrilling Encounter

During the Lidl ladies NFL at Páirc Uí Rinn, Cork's Sadhbh O'Leary competes against Sarah Quigley and Grace Ferguson from Armagh. Photo: Eddie O'Hare.

Armagh showcased their resilience and determination as they clinched a hard-fought victory over Cork in a thrilling encounter at Páirc Ui Rinn. Despite a valiant effort from the hosts, missed opportunities and a clinical Armagh side ultimately sealed the result.

Right from the start, both teams displayed their intent to dominate the game. Armagh took an early lead when they were awarded a penalty in the third minute, following a foul on Louise Kenny by Libby Coppinger. Aimee Mackin confidently stepped up and unleashed a powerful shot into the top corner, leaving Cork goalkeeper Sarah Murphy with no chance.

However, Cork quickly responded with a swift counter-attack. Hannah Looney’s astute pass found Daire Kiely, who rifled the ball into the net, levelling the score and igniting the home crowd.

Armagh’s prolific forward, Mackin, continued to make her presence felt, slotting over a well-taken free and adding another point from play to put her team ahead by three points.

Cork’s scoring account opened with a well-taken point from Katie Quirke, reducing the deficit to one. Moments later, Murphy exhibited her shot-stopping prowess by making a remarkable save to deny Kelly Mallon a certain goal just before halftime. Caroline O’Hanlon added a point for Armagh to give them a slender one-point lead going into the break, with the score reading 1-4 to 1-3 in favour of the visitors.

The second half commenced with Armagh displaying their attacking prowess, as Emily Druse extended their lead with an early point. Cork, however, struggled to convert their chances, squandering several opportunities and registering three wides in the opening minutes.

With the game finely poised, Cork finally found their rhythm. Quirke showcased her accuracy by slotting over a well-deserved point, reducing the deficit to a single point once again. Despite their best efforts, Cork found it challenging to restore parity, with Armagh’s Lauren McConville adding another point to maintain a two-point advantage.

Quirke, determined to keep Cork in contention, converted a free to narrow the gap to one point with ten minutes remaining. However, Armagh swiftly responded, as Niamh Murray coolly split the posts to restore their two-point lead.

As the match approached its thrilling climax, Murphy produced a crucial save to deny Mallon a goal, keeping Cork’s hopes alive. However, Armagh’s Aoife McCoy had the final say, slotting over a point to secure a hard-fought victory for her team, with the final score reading 1-8 to 1-6 in Armagh’s favour.

Despite the disappointment of defeat, Cork had several standout performers. Aoife Healy showcased her midfield prowess, while Melissa Duggan, Maire O’Callaghan, and Sadhbh O’Leary impressed with their contributions. However, missed chances ultimately proved costly for the hosts.

Armagh, on the other hand, displayed their resilience and clinical finishing. Aimee Mackin’s influential performance, including a well-taken penalty goal, played a pivotal role in their triumph. Caroline O’Hanlon, Emily Druse, Lauren McConville, Niamh Murray, and Aoife McCoy also contributed crucial points to secure the victory.

Both teams can take pride in their performances, with Armagh’s clinical edge proving decisive on the day. Cork will undoubtedly analyse their missed opportunities as they look to bounce back in their forthcoming matches, while Armagh will carry their winning momentum forward as they prepare to face Galway in their next encounter.


More Posts

Where Every Game Tells a Story

Take the quiz and join the craic!


Sign up to our newsletter